[tei-council] TEI Conformance

Dan O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Tue Nov 21 12:40:09 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-21-11 at 16:28 +0000, James Cummings wrote:

> What is a TEI document?:
> - A TEI-conformant TEI P5 document must be a well-formed and valid XML document.
> - A TEI-conformant TEI P5 document must validate against a schema derived from
> the TEI Guidelines.
> - A TEI-conformant TEI P5 document must use the TEI namespace for all TEI elements.
> - A TEI-conformant TEI P5 document must have <teiHeader> element which includes
> some elements for a title statement, publication statement and source description.
> - Any new customisations of the TEI schemas should be documented with a valid
> TEI ODD file.
> - Where possible any renamings or new elements, attributes and classes, should
> be related to existing TEI structures with the use of <equiv>.

Generalising James's later observation "If it isn't able to be
documented with <equiv>, then surely it isn't really part of the TEI" to
the level of "if it is a duck, then it ought to be able to walk and talk
like one", let me ask about these last two points:

I liked the way the first four were stated: good rules and very clear.
What about the last two:

-A TEI-conformant TEI P5 document must document any new customisations
of the TEI Schemas with a valid TEI ODD file
-A TEI-conformant TEI P5 document must relate any renamed or new
elements, attributes, and classes to existing TEI structures using
tei:equiv.

Are these satisfactory claims?

-dan

--