[tei-council] links into images

Conal Tuohy Conal.Tuohy at vuw.ac.nz
Sun Oct 15 11:35:09 EDT 2006

I have taken Sebastian's encoding of the example and modified the svg to use the svg:view element in place of svg:rect.

Like a rect, a view element also defines a rectangle (it has a viewBox attribute containing the x, y, width and height of the view's bounding box). However, a view is probably a more appropriate type of SVG element to link to. To quote from the SVG spec:

 Because SVG content often represents a picture or drawing of something,
 a common need is to link into a particular view of the document, where
 a view indicates the initial transformations so as to present a closeup
 of a particular section of the document.

   http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/linking.html#LinksIntoSVG

Navigating to a view element within an svg is supposed to zoom in on the region defined in that view. In a real application it might be preferable to highlight the region defined by the view using a coloured rectangle, but equally some other rendering might be chosen; this is better not encoded in the TEI and left up to the rendering application or user agent I think (it's a trivial transformation anyway).

Cheers

Con

<!--
<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd">
-->
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
	<image
		xlink:href="../Source/Images/compic.png"
		width="597"
		height="897"
		id="image1764" />
	<view id="p-l9801" viewBox="57 467.85216 169 53.5"/>
	<view id="p-l9802" viewBox="312 474.36218 126 47"/>
	<view id="p-l9806" viewBox="313 601.36218 158.5 32.5"/>
	<view id="p-e9806" viewBox="56.5 591.36218 233 25.5"/>
	<view id="p-l9807" viewBox="312 635.86218 130 25.5"/>
	<view id="p-e9807" viewBox="55 618.86218 188 22.5"/>
</svg>

PS I was a bit disappointed that firefox didn't zoom to show a view when I opened the above file with a fragment id, like "example.svg#p-l9801".