[tei-council] classy part

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Mon Oct 9 10:47:13 EDT 2006

> > We have lots of uninherited type= attributes because we want to
> > specify the value list for lots of them. We need a mechanism for
> > specifying the value list for an inherited attribute.

> You can do this in a customization ODD, cos inherited attributes
> which have any change are transmuted into local attributes in the
> frozen schema. It should Just Work.

I believe you completely that a user can do this in a customization
ODD -- I think I've done it myself. But we need a way to do this in
the <elementSpec> that defines the element in the Guidelines. That
is, we want to able able to say that element <foo> is a member of
class att.typed, and here is its value list. I'm not entirely sure
the advantage of class membership here is worth the effort, but it is
important for many elements to be able to have their own value list
for type=.