[tei-council] dating attributes

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 9 02:53:59 EDT 2006

Syd Bauman wrote:
> I kinda like the data.temporal.user idea. But how do we get this to
> be user-definable? I.e., what happens if the user *doesn't* define
> it? "notAllowed" perhaps?

It should default to W3C, I would have thought, and only be changed if
the user actually decides to change it.  But yes, then you end up with
two attributes with the same possible values and semantics. Hrmmm.

>>My first thought was that actually I'd rather have ISOnorm than
>>normw3c but that may not be an option.
> I would, too, and I bet James would, too. The problem is that there's
> no off-the-shelf datatype to use. W3C provides a datatype library
> that RelaxNG uses to validate the W3C date/time formats. If we wanted
> to use the ISO formats we'd have to make our own datatypes. Shouldn't
> be impossible, but would be a chunk of work.

Yup, I would like that as well, but if W3C is all we have.  What would
bother me is the calling it W3C or similar in the attribute name,
maybe one day someone will do this work for us and we can use their
datatype and have true ISO dates.

-James