[tei-council] DRAFT: Backward Compatibility and the Maintenance of the Text Encoding Initiative Guidelines

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Oct 8 15:42:34 EDT 2006

Lou's Laptop wrote:
> As requested at the last Council call, I have now put David's draft
> into canonical form on the TEI web site at
> http://www.tei-c.org/Council/tcw09.xml
>
> Presumably we should table this document for endorsement  by the Board
> unless Council thinks it needs more work?
I agree that a statement of principle like this should be agreed by the
Council too.

I think the bit that bothers me a little is the notion of deprecation.
Where, and how,
would that be recorded?  I am also a little chary, technically, of the
idea of creating
a new "thang" alongside the old deprecated one. If we change <p> in some way
that is not backward compatible, we'd have to create <p-bis>, and deprecate
use of <p>; which is surely not viable......

I think it needs ",  wherever possible" inserted after "should" in the last
line of para C in the 3rd section

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk