[tei-council] dating attributes

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sun Oct 8 11:02:49 EDT 2006

INASMUCHAS

- we currently have variously proposed attributes @notBefore @notAfter
@to @from and @value
- these attributes all have a datatype of data.temporal which being
expanded turns out to match simple w3c-conformant dates, or various ISO
formats, or one we dreamed up all on our own, and thus provide headaches
for simple minded validation software
- and moreover all normalized values are understood  (in a way they were
not previously) to represent values in a single calendar system which is
not necessarily that convenient

NOW BE IT HEREBY PROPOSED:

1. all elements the content of which describes either a point or a span
in time should carry the same set of attributes, and constitute members
of the att.datable class
2, the members of the att.datable class shall be @notBefore, @notAfter,
@normw3c @norm, and @exact
3. @notBefore and @notAfter have the same significance as at present.
Their datatype is data.temporal.user (see below)
4. @normw3c contains a normalized representation of a nodern calendar
date in W3C format, like the current @value. Its datatype is
data.temporal.w3c
5. @norm contains a normalized representation of a date in any
user-chosen calendar according to a defined format. Its datatype is
data.temporal.user, and the calendar is specified somewhere (not sure
where) in the header.
6. @exact indicates which ends of the date range indicate by @notBefore
and @notAfter can be considered exact: it has three possible values
"from" "to" "both". So for example 'notbefore="x" exact="from"' is
equivalent to "from='x'"

So far so good, but the devil is assuredly in the detail.

Comments?

My first thought was that actually I'd rather have ISOnorm than normw3c
but that may not be an option.