[tei-council] handShift anomaly

M. J. Driscoll mjd at hum.ku.dk
Wed Oct 4 04:39:26 EDT 2006

For what it's worth my understanding of <handShift> was that it marked just
that, a shift from one scribal hand to another, in which case one needed to
indicate both the old and the new hand. One did not, in other words, begin
one's text with a <handShift> element identifying the first hand and then use
another one when a new hand took over (in which case @old would be
superfluous).  Mind you, doing so would make more sense, but then the name of
the element should probably be something other than <handShift> (even as people
tend to find it counter-intuitive to begin the first line of a text with a line-
break).

I might also add that I've always thought it was really silly to use
<handShift> to indicate a shift in things other than identity of the scribal
hand, e.g. the colour of the ink. All that kind of stuff can be dealt with in
<handDesc>.

Matthew