[tei-council] handShift anomaly

David J Birnbaum djbpitt+tei at pitt.edu
Tue Oct 3 14:52:24 EDT 2006

Dear Syd (cc Council),

Yes, the one to keep is @new and the one to drop is @old. Although the
<handShift/> element is empty (or contains only <desc/>), it feels like
a sort of displaced attribute for what follows, and its attributes most
naturally would apply to the following, rather than the preceding, text.
By "feels like" I mean "when I put on my philologist's cap, this is what
I expect to see."

I'm inclined against <desc/> for the reasons I posted earlier. Lou
points out correctly that it could be used to make an annotation more
precise (e.g., "even greener than the other green ink"), but I think a
more consistent way to encode that would be to have separate "green" and
"intenseGreen" values, rather than a single green value that can be
interpreted fully only by looking elsewhere.

Best,

David