[tei-council] First draft of TC M 26, notes from yesterday's call, are up

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Sep 28 19:01:13 EDT 2006

Syd Bauman <Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu> writes:

> I have finished up a somewhat fast-and-lousy first draft of the notes
> from our teleconference yesterday.

Great, thanks.

> Because the sound quality was
> particularly poor at times, I have missed more than I might have
> otherwise.

As you know, the sound quality is such a specific concern to me that
it even turns up in my dreams -- without workable solutions.  I wonder
if there are any ways to improve this?

> Thus even if you don't have time to read the whole thing
> immediately (and it's not that long), please take a look, searching
> for your initials and the string "??". Please post any corrections,
> omissions, suggestions, etc., either to the list or send directly to
> me. http://www.tei-c.org/Council/tcm26.xml?style=printable

A general remark:  Given the fact that we will look at these minutes
in the next meeting, trying to remember or figure out what was meant
by this or that, I think it would be helpful to have the action items
containing enough descriptive prose so that we will be able to
understand them 2 months from now.  This for example, is tough:

SB	 write up a summary to Council, if possible with a specific proposed mechanism which would be instituted if there were no objections. 	2006-11-07

As to this:

<quote>

The first was for Council members to scan the list SB produced looking
for obvious errors or elements of concern. The second was to produce a
schema that makes use of the ‘limited phrase’ class, and for Council
members to use this schema and large quantities of data looking for
problems. Council chose the former method, without ruling out use of
the latter later ([?...??] did I get that right? —SB).
</quote>
I think we did in fact also want to enact the latter, which is why you
got the next action item.
"Create an implementation of the new ‘limited phrase’ system using the
elements in the refined version of the list."

best,

chw

--

 Christian Wittern