[tei-council] image encoding comments

Dot Porter dporter at uky.edu
Wed Sep 27 09:15:57 EDT 2006

I agree completely - come up with a simple way to do
graphic/image-text linking in TEI (keeping tei:graphic), and include
something in the Guidelines about using SVG with TEI, but don't
incorporate all of SVG into TEI.

Dot

On 9/27/06, Christian Wittern <wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> James Cummings <James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
> writes:
>
> > Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> >> My problem with SVG is that once you allow the SVG stuff in,
> >> you allow it all in, and that has problems for implementation.
> >> Since most people don't have SVG enabled in their browser,
> >> you have to dumb down to plain (X)HTML, which is hard
> >> if people hurl in huge gobs of complex SVG.
> >>
> >> I know SVG is cute, but it still, after all these years,
> >> seems to be a very minority subject.
> >
> > On a related issue, I believe there has been talk by some of requesting
> > replacing tei:graphic with SVG as the default recommendation.  I would like to
> > state for the record that I'm wholeheartedly against this.
>
> I am with you here.  To me, you should be able to do basic things with
> tei:graphic, but should also be shown in the guidelines how to get the
> big iron out with SVG.
>
> Christian
>

> --
>
>  Christian Wittern
>  Institute for Research in Humanities, Kyoto University
>  47 Higashiogura-cho, Kitashirakawa, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8265, JAPAN

Dot Porter, University of Kentucky
#####
Program Coordinator
Collaboratory for Research in Computing for Humanities
dporter at uky.edu          859-257-9549
#####
Editorial Assistant, REVEAL Project
Center for Visualization and Virtual Environments
porter at vis.uky.edu