[tei-council] on regularizing names

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sat Sep 23 06:37:19 EDT 2006

While I agree that philosophically speaking :

(a) the name exists independently of the thing named
(b) the name which exists independently is not the same as the thing named
(c) there may be many  naming instances, each of which you might want to
associate with different instances of both the independently-existing
name and the thing named,

I also observe that this makes lots of peoples' heads hurt very badly.

So we probably need to be careful not to confuse the issue by using the
same attribute for two different associations.