[tei-council] on regularizing names

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Sep 22 19:25:37 EDT 2006

Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> If my text is follows:
>
>   My father <name>Jim</name> was thus named
>   because the of the recent access to the throne
>   of a king called <name>James</name>
>
> the suggestion is that the first <name> should
> change to (shorthand, bad idea) <name reg="James">Jim</name>,
> so that someone can find all the uses of the name "James".
>
> In this case we want <name key="#JAMES"> pointing to
>
> <aName xml:id="JAMES">
>    <foreName>James</foreName>
> </aName>
>
> which talks about the abstract notion of the name "James",
> as a forename, not the <regName> proposed above which
> looks like a synonym for <person> in the example given.

I fully agree with Sebastians view here, we need to distinguish
regularization of names from authority files for persons.  However, in
the above example, me thinks, it should be
<name reg="#JAMES"> or some such, not @key which we already defined as

"key	provides a means of locating a full definition for the entity being named such as a database record key or URI."

thus referring to the "entity being named".

--

 Christian Wittern