[tei-council] on regularizing names

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Thu Sep 21 11:47:16 EDT 2006

> Could another option be a twist on (j)? Instead of a pointer to a
> regularization, with no key= on the <regName>, what about a pointer
> to a regularization, with no key= on the <persName>? It seems
> having key= on both <persName> and <regName> is redundant, and
> having to include a key= and reg= on every <persName> is excessive
> when one could include just the reg= and find the key= in the
> referenced <regName>.

Yes, for a project that is both keying and regularizing it would make
good sense to use reg= on <persName> (w/o key=) and key= on
<regName>. But we need to permit key= on <persName> for those
projects who are keying, and either not regularizing or are
performing regularization via whatever database the key= points to.