[tei-council] SGML or not to SGML, that is the question

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Tue Aug 22 06:24:22 EDT 2006

I don't know that we've ever formally addressed the issue of whether
or not P5 will support SGML or not. I believe that Sebastian's ODD
processor currently produces DTD fragments that could support SGML
with the proper SGML declaration -- i.e., have parameter entity
references in place for the omissability indicators, don't use more
than one ATTLIST declaration for a given element, etc. But supporting
SGML means a lot more than this. It means, e.g., providing an SGML
declaration and creating rules for conformance and recommended
practice that include SGML as well as XML, as well as discussing the
ramifications of using a different SGML declaration. Personally,
perhaps just being selfish & lazy, I'd rather not bother.