[tei-council] Stand Off Markup

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Aug 7 21:19:13 EDT 2006

James Cummings <James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
writes:

> I've got no major concerns (though I did feel that there could be more examples
> and that both 14.9.3 and 14.9.5 especially would not suffer from more
> explanation even if redundant, perhaps demonstrating the various kinds of
> applications people might make of it.  (Not just xinclude this paragraph.)  By
> the way, the sentence in 14.9.5 after the first example mentions <text> but
> really means 'text' or 'text()', I think. There is no <text> in the
> example.

You mean the sentence:

<q>The expression range(/1/2/1.0,/1/2/11.1) will select the whole
poem, <text>and<div> elements and hypertext links (NB: in XPointer
whitespace-only text nodes count).</q>

> But I think xinclude is the right idea, and the TEI XPointer Schemes detailed in
> 14.2.4 are wonderful.
>
> I think back to using xptr to grab ranges of verses (breaking over chapters)
> from the bible to import into marked-up liturgical documents, and think that if
> I had had a decent xinclude processor implementation and if the TEI had
> recommended its use, that I would have saved myself a lot of XSLT
> headaches.

Did you try xsltproc?  It does do some xinclude processing, but I am
not sure if it does everything.  However, you probably will not see a
processor implementing the xpointer() anytime soon:-( OTOH,
implementing this in XSLT2 should not be too difficult, so we leave
that as an exercise for the reader.

Ahem, back to the topic.

The general policy with the examples in this section seems to be to
give a filename for a file that is supposed to hold the stuff in the
grayed area (that is to say the content of the example).  This is a
very good policy, but at some places it is not implemented.  The
example in 14.9.3 has three example sections, from which the first one
is referred to as "example1.xml" in the second one.  Since there is no
filename given on the first one, it makes it difficult to follow.

Apart from that, this section looks now very good for me.  Good to
finally see this coming to the light of P5.

(BTW, if you find my recent messages slightly more weird than usual,
please bear in mind that the highest temperature here has been between
34"C and 38"C for 14 consecutive days -- there has to be some
collateral damage)

All the best,

Christian

--