[tei-council] Possibilities for new file names.

Dot Porter dporter at uky.edu
Fri Aug 4 08:53:12 EDT 2006

Hi James and Council,

I'd like to go on the record as saying that I think that changing the
short names of the chapters is unnecessary. I think that time spent on
deciding whether the chapter on multiple hierarchies should be "MH" or
"NH" (and then on actually making that change - and all the others
that would come out of this - consistent in the file names and within
the Guidelines) might be time better spent on more substantive things.

Just my $.02.

Dot

On 8/4/06, James Cummings
<James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear Council,
>
> Just a reminder to look at the Short Names proposal and make comments
> (especially against) it, otherwise it will be implemented on 2006-09-01.
> (According to the minutes of the last conference call.)
>
> I had originally intended my suggestions below as a straw man, from which a
> consensus of a better set of names might be reached after some bickering. :-)
> I'm not entirely happy with them as they are and feel that they still might be a
> bit long.  Remember that this would most likely also affect the URLs on the
> website as well.
>
> Are the current two letter abbreviations better? Should we just use chapter
> numbers? Do you have an even better suggestion?
>
> -James.
>
> James Cummings wrote:
> > In looking at the minutes from last meeting I realised I had completely
> > forgotten to suggest new file names for the chapters.  The problem was that many
> > people might look at the (usually) two-letter codes and have no clue what MD,
> > TS, NH, and many other filenames mean.
> >
> > A few things to consider:
> >
> > With the new subversion file structure accommodating internationalisation by
> > placing things in /P5/Source/Guidelines/en (or another language code), whatever
> > scheme for renaming these files might exist must also fit in with the
> > possibility or internationalisation.
> >
> > Some people, inexplicably, like the two letter codes.  (Maybe it is the
> > misplaced sense of superiority, gnostic wisdom, or other special feeling they
> > get when knowing what 'CH' means... maybe it is just that they are used to them
> > as shortcuts.)
> >
> > An argument for keeping the two letter codes is internationalization.  If
> > someone refers to fr/HD.xml it is clear they are talking about the same thing as
> > is in en/HD.xml, but if it was fr/En-tête_TEI.xml then non-french speakers might
> > not know it was about the header.
> >
> > Any proposed solution should avoid complicating this further.
> >
> > Although it has been suggested that we could do away with the two-letter codes
> > in favour of the chapter number, I don't think we should tie ourselves to a
> > particular chapter being in a particular place. I felt The only thing suggested
> > to me that makes any kind of sense so far is to combine the existing two letter
> > codes with descriptive names.  Since the chapters already have existing
> > descriptive names (their titles), it would make sense to use these.  So:
> >
> > en/HD.xml would become en/HD-The_TEI_Header.xml
> > and fr/HD.XML would become fr/HD-En-tête_TEI.xml
> >
> > We would know they were discussing the same topic by the HD- prefix.  This
> > could, however, end up with some quite long filenames.
> >
> > If this is proposal is applied to all of the files in en/*.xml at the moment one
> > gets:
> >
> > AB.xml -> AB-About_These_Guidelines.xml
> > AI.xml -> AI-Simple_Analytic_Mechanisms.xml
> > BIB.xml -> BIB-Bibliography.xml
> > CC.xml -> CC-Language_Corpora.xml
> [...]

Dot Porter, University of Kentucky
#####
Program Coordinator
Collaboratory for Research in Computing for Humanities
dporter at uky.edu          859-257-9549
#####
Editorial Assistant, REVEAL Project
Center for Visualization and Virtual Environments
porter at vis.uky.edu