[tei-council] how much can one customize and still have a TEI document?

David J Birnbaum djbpitt+tei at pitt.edu
Fri Jul 21 09:42:20 EDT 2006

Dear James (cc Council),

I like the idea of a formal statement because I'm fussy and nerdy, but
I'm not sure whether it would have different practical consequences than
the current nonformal wording.
Furthermore, given the degree of customization we wish to support
(including the renaming of elements both in general and as required for
internationalization), I'm not sure whether we could construct a
satisfactory truly formal statement about modification. I also suspect
that had the authors of P3 been able to formalize this requirement, they
would have done so, but surely Lou can provide more information here.

Best,

David