[tei-council] New discussion document on 1.0 release priorities

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Jul 21 05:32:53 EDT 2006

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> James Cummings wrote:
>> More or less frustrated then when they take that schema and try to use
>> it in
>> oXygen only to find it complains that it is invalid?  I realise the
>> trang error
>> messages aren't very useful, but I prefer some indication that the
>> generated
>> schema is invalid before I take it away from Roma.
>>
> yes, agreed.  tell me what checks to add in, and I'll
> do it.

*shrug*  That all referenced items (elements, classes, etc.) exist in the schema
would be the first major one.  It would have stopped me getting problems with
the MsDescription/Names&Dates problem.

>> Ah... just not very usable from an average user's point of view.
> not at all. they may include it in another schema

That is why I said *average* user.  Your average user is going to be using the
pre-made schemas.  The *average* user of Roma is going to want to constrain the
TEI and maybe rename or add a small number of elements.  Only a very small
number are going to want to include the generated schema in another schema.  (Is
my guess.)  Maybe make Roma warn the user that there is no starting element?  So
just a warning, not fatal?

-James