[tei-council] New discussion document on 1.0 release priorities

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Jul 21 04:38:43 EDT 2006

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> David J Birnbaum wrote:
>>
>>> Attemping
>>> to fix the invalid schema problem by using module
>>> dependency will not work.
>> What would be the Right Way to fix the invalid schema problem?
>>
> It only happens if you delete elements which occur in
> the content models of other elements. So the Right Way
> is not to delete elements unless you know there are
> no other elements who will get upset.
>
> how about we add this as a TODO to Roma:
>
> * for every element in a list from a module, supply a list of
>   other element which have a hard-wired reference to it. if that
>   list is not empty, put in a red exclamation mark
> ?

While that is a nice useful feature, I think the 'right' way to indicate an
invalid schema is at time of generation.  User generates schema, schema is
validated (somehow) and user is presented with a list of the errors.  It is then
up to user to go back and sort out the problem.  This sorting out of the problem
would be certainly made much more easy with your suggestion above.

Is there any way other than element dependency to have Roma make an invalid
schema?  Lack of start element? What else?

-James