[tei-council] adding (non-)Struct elements to <date> & <time>

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Sun Jun 11 11:42:57 EDT 2006

SB> Why is <offset> in this list at all? I.e., I think maybe <offset>
SB> should not be a member of att.datePart.

LB> It's there so that you can mark up things like "ten days after
LB> Easter".

I'm not sure, but I think maybe you're answering the wrong question.
I'm not asking why does <offset> exist, but why is it a member of
att.datePart. I.e., why would you want to use value= or full= (or for
that matter, even type=) to encode the word "after":

   <date value="2006-04-26">
     <distance value="P10D">ten days</distance>
     <offset>after</offset>
     <name type="holiday">Easter</name>
   </date>

> There is an argument for saying we should throw all that clever
> stuff from time/dateStruct away and use something like TimeML
> (http://www.timeml.org/site/index.html) instead

Hmmm... haven't taken a careful look, but my gut instinct is no, we
would not want to just use TimeML instead, but it is probably a good
idea to look through it for ideas. E.g., their @mod attribute may be
useful.

But in Kyoto we seemed very adverse to including other schemas into
ours. In this case it's even more of a pain, as the schema is only
expressed usefully as XSD[1,2]. Is there an XSD to RNG converter?

> If we're not sure why it should be there (and thinking about it
> again, I'm even less sure than I was), then let's not have it at
> all.

Not sure what you mean here:

* If we're not sure why <offset> should be in att.datePart, we should
  take it out of att.datePart (my point)

* If we're not sure why <offset> should be in att.datePart, we should
  delete the element entirely (the literal reading of your post)

* If we're not sure why <offset> exists at all, we should delete the
  element entirely (what I think you probably meant)

Note
----
[1] There is a DTD version of the latest version, too, but there are
    a lot of constraints that are not expressed there.
[2] The index page does not have a pointer to it, but an XSD of the
    latest version is available at
    http://www.timeml.org/site/publications/timeMLdocs/timeml_1.2.1.xsd