[tei-council] reduced phrase class proposals

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sat Jun 10 18:30:09 EDT 2006

Looking at these again (for ease of reference I've appended the text Syd
presented in Kyoto at the bottom of this message), I have some
questions. I apologise for taking so long to raise them.

We have the following proposals:

1. Move abbr choice and expan out of pPart.edit into a class of their own.
2. Make hi the only member of model.hiLike, and put the remaining former
members into another class model.emphLike
3. Separate specDesc and specList from the other members of
model.specDescLike
4. ("arguably") also move code and ident from the current specDescLike
class into model.emphLike

My recollection is that time didn't permit us to discuss this in much
detail in Kyoto, nor to explore the rationale. If we did and I'm just
being dense, please accept apologies. But ...

(1) why? the motivation appears to be so that these three pPart.edit
elements can appear in a new reduced  headerPhraseSeq  but none of the
others. But I cannot think of any reason why you'd want to indicate a
choice in the elements for which the said slimmed down headerPhraseSeq
might be used.  Can anyone come up with a plausible use-case?
(2) Why? hi is the "generic" version of the others. Again, I presume
that the motivation is to permit the others (but not hi) within
headerPhrase . But this seems backwards to me: if you want these things
at all there, the logical one to keep is hi, not the rest of the motley
crew, surely?
(3) I agree with this: you might well want att, gi, code, ident in
header text and certainly specDesc etc shouldn't be permitted in all the
same place/s as them
(4) I can't make up my mind about this one either.

Maybe what we need is a list of places where the reduced or anorexic
phraseClassSeq would be used. That might help clarify the motivation for
these changes.

Lou

model.phrase =

   model.graphicLike = binaryObject eg egXML formula graphic
   model.hiLike = distinct emph foreign gloss hi mentioned soCalled term
title
   model.lPart = caesura rhyme
   model.oddPhr = att code gi ident specDesc specList tag val
   model.pPart.data = address
      model.dateLike = date dateRange dateStruct
      model.measureLike = measure num
      model.nameLike = geogName lang placeName rs
          model.nameLike.agent = name orgName persName
      model.timeLike = time timeRange timeStruct
   model.pPart.edit = abbr add app choice corr damage del expan orig
      reg restore sic space supplied unclear
   model.pPart.msdesc = catchwords dimensions handShift heraldry locus
      material origDate origPlace secFol signatures watermark
   model.ptrLike = ptr ref
   model.ptrLike.form = oRef oVar pRef pVar
   model.segLike = c cl m phr s seg w

--------- some possible changes ---------

   model.pPart.edit = abbr add app choice corr damage del expan orig
      reg restore sic space supplied unclear

becomes:

   model.pPart.edit =
      model.pPart.edit.??? = abbr choice expan
      model.pPart.edit.transcribe = add app corr damage del orig reg
restore sic space supplied unclear

---------

   model.hiLike = distinct emph foreign gloss hi mentioned soCalled term
title

becomes:

   model.hilighted =
      model.hiLike = hi
      model.emphLike = distinct emph foreign gloss mentioned soCalled
term title

---------

   model.oddPhr = att code gi ident specDesc specList tag val

becomes:

   model.specDescLike = specDesc specList
   model.xmlPhrase = att code gi ident  tag val

arguably <code> and <ident> should be in model.emphLike instead.

---------
summary of possible changes:

model.headerPhrase =
   model.graphicLike [1]
   model.xmlPhrase
   model.pPart.data
   model.pPart.msdesc
   model.ptrLike
   model.emphLike
   model.pPart.???

I.e., model.headerPhrase does *not* have
   hi [2]
   model.lPart
   add app corr damage del orig reg restore sic space supplied unclear [3]
   model.ptrLike.form
   model.segLike

Notes
-----
[1] An argument could be made to divide model.graphicLike so that
    <binaryObject> and perhaps <formula> and <graphic> were not in
    model.headerPhrase.
[2] And perhaps not distinct, either?
[3] And perhaps not reg, either?