[tei-council] Desktop Roma App?

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 29 06:48:00 EDT 2006

Christian Wittern wrote:
> Thanks Amit for jumping at this.  It is important; our (my) main concern
> was that we did not want to add to Sebastian's workload, which
> constantly seems to be at 150% already.

Don't worry about me. the important thing is that
we get the TEI Knowledge spread more widely.

We are operating on a very insecure basis of a few
people holding the Knowledge. When MSMcQ left,
the link was almost broken - the current odd-to-whatever
conversion was re-engineered from scratch without
benefit of seeing Michael's code, thanks to Lou's
folk memory. Things are a lot better now, but
still precarious, in my view.

On the positive side, a year ago there were only
3 or 4 people who felt happy writing ODD code. Now
there must be a dozen or more. Hoorah. Onwards!
Excelsior!
> I did use roma totally locally on occasion by querying to my local
> eXist. This seems to be the least painful and most promising path to
> me, since you could then more or less "just" build a new UI around the
> scripts without much fuss about whats behind them.

Yes. I was thinking that eXist is a pain, because I
see it in terms of the web servlet, and talk to it
by http. But if its bound into the Java, that's a lot
more solid.

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk