[tei-council] Desktop Roma App?

Amit Kumar amitku at uiuc.edu
Sun May 28 17:36:57 EDT 2006

> I'd say it was quite important to keep moving in parallel on all
> fronts.
> The opinion seemed strong that a 100% useable Roma was a prerequisite.

Great then I have my work cut out for me :).

> not sure what a webstart application is, to be honest :-}

Java webstart is nothing special, it just allows software to be deployed
over the network and webstart makes sure that users have the most recent
application running.

> the main job of a Roma is to create an ODD customization file, and run
> it through the
> scripts which generate schemas or documentation out the end. Providing
> the user with
> information about what they can do involves accessing the TEI P5
> source
> (eg to get
> lists of modules, list of attributes for an element etc). So you
> need a
> local "database"
> of some kind to query. webRoma does this by sending XQuery to an eXist
> database.
> When the build process  starts, that too needs access to the
> "database"
> (which may just
> be an XML file). The XSLT scripts work by either sending XQuery as
> above, or
> just reading the P5 source as an XML document.

eXist or Saxon might be a good alternative, I am inclined to think
that saxon
will do the job. eXist is more attractive compared to dbXML I can
embed it inside
the app.

> So Byzantium has to have the equivalent of the eXist database lying
> around, I suggest.
> For the desktop Java app, I have imagined using Sleepycat dbXML, and
> bundling that
> with the app. Since it too accepts XQuery, it should `just work'.
>
> Does this make sense?

Thanks; I will keep you all posted about my progress. I will start some
work on this the week after.

Best,
Amit

Amit Kumar
Research Programmer
The Graduate School of Library and Information Science
University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign IL, 61820
phone: 217-333-4118 fax: 217-244-3302