[tei-council] solving the Birnbaum Biznai

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 22 12:51:57 EDT 2006

Syd Bauman wrote:

> The content model of <msIdentifier> has structure:
>
>   element msIdentifier {
>      att.global.attributes,
>      (
>         (
>            (
>               country?,
>               region?,
>               settlement,
>               institution?,
>               repository,
>               collection?,
>               idno?
>            )
>          | msName
>         ),
>         ( altIdentifier | msName )*
>      )
>      }
>
> Note that in the inside set there <settlement> and <repository> are
> not optional, but everything else is.

Yup. So I make an "optional sequence" class with the geographical
thangs in.  Sorted (and yes, I have tested this).

> Ah, now I understand. This doesn't bother me because it is no
> different than what happens when the user deletes a required child
> element when the required child element is in the same module as the
> parent. (It doesn't mean I don't think we should try to do something
> nicer, it just means it's orthogonal to module dependency.)

yes, but module dependency pretends to solve this problem.

> 'm not sure how you're defining "behaviour" here. Is something
> like "if a module depended on by an explicitly loaded module cannot
> be found and loaded, an error condition should be raised and no
> output (schema, reference doc, etc.) should be generated"
> insufficient?

no, thats fine. I just don't really see when you'd use it
in the TEI. Have you got an example in mind?
msdescription/namesdates is NOT an example.

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk