[tei-council] Fwd: biblStruct replaced by biblItem in P5?

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Wed Apr 26 11:02:01 EDT 2006

> I know the biblStruct/biblItem has been floating around for a while,
> and I can't recall the status,

Last left, Council had asked me to prepare the bibliography for P5
using <bibl> for some, and <biblItem> for some, and to report back on
how big a difference it was, which was easier, etc. This project was
assigned to me almost a year ago, but was almost immediately put on a
back burner because Council had other things (SO, classes, etc.) you
wanted me to work on first.

> My position is that biblStruct is adequate for TEI and if folks
> want to build fuller bibliographic data sets in XML there are other
> standards, e.g., MODS, that are well-suited to that task.

I think I disagree because I think of <biblItem> not as a fuller
bibliographic data set than <biblStruct>, but rather as an equivalent
that

a) more naturally represents the "wrapping" of one piece of a
   reference (e.g., an article) by another (e.g., the journal an
   article appears in) than <biblStruct>, and

b) makes data capture and processing of bi biographic information much
   easier than <bibl>.

That said, I still think <biblItem> is slightly under-specified, and
that the examples the XML-biblio group came up with need work.