[tei-council] 'fw' element part of model.milestoneLike?

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Apr 20 19:39:19 EDT 2006

Syd Bauman <Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu> writes:

>> > a) restrict 'model.milestoneLike' so that it may obtain only things
>> >    that are actually milestones,
>> >
>> > b) permit things that are like milestones, but aren't empty, in class
>> >    'model.milestoneLike' (after all, that's what the "Like" is for
>> >    :-), or
>> >
>> > c) rename 'model.milestoneLike' to something else
>>
>> I would argue for a) I think.
>
> Yeah, me too. I would go with (a) for 'model.milestoneLike' and
> create a new class (which probably goes in the very same places) for
> <fw>. I've no idea what that new class would be called. Perhaps
> 'model.incidental' or 'model.peripheral' or some such.

I agree to the analysis that <fw> is not milestone-like simply because
I want it to appear at that very same places.  Having a new model
class (how about model.fwLike) is fine and allows for further
development.

BTW, the things I have been stuffing into <fw> are some kind of
running heads that were written at the beginning of a scroll,
indicating the title of the text, sometimes also its author and the
number of the scroll.  Later, when these texts where printed and bound
in books, these milestones-with-content where retained, but now they
appear frequently in the middle of a page, interrupting the text
flow. And of course you have something similar at the end (although
there is usually only the title).  I used to have <trailer> there, but
because of it belonging to div.bottom, I later rather put <fw> to use
here as well.

best, chw

--

 Christian Wittern