[tei-council] FAND faces setback

Lou's Laptop lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Feb 23 16:38:34 EST 2006

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

>  1. pure FAND: kill numbered divs now and forever. anyone who wants
> them back writes their own content model
>
>  2. loosen the current content model to allow interleaved <div>,
> <div1> and <div0>. it would be nonsense, but so? does it really
> justify immense mental effort and time spent protecting people from
> being dumb?
>
>  2a. do 2, but add a schematron rule to say you can't have div and
> div1|divo in the same document
>
>  3. trap the situation in Roma code ad hoc
>
> I really really don't want to do 3. if I can help it :-{

Seems clear to me that of these 2/a is the least worst solution.  We
just define model.divLike with members div, div0, div1 by default. FAND
members can remove numbered divs with impunity, and the cntent model for
body (etc) references model.divLike.

The prohibition against mixing div and div1 in the same document needs
to be stated in the text explicitly. This isnt as annoying as it sounds,
since of course the content model for div, div0, and div1 doesn't have
to refer to  model.divLike but to div, div1, or div2, explicitly.