[tei-council] FAND faces setback

Sebastian Rahtz Sebastian.Rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 23 16:05:26 EST 2006

Syd Bauman wrote:

> And no, I don't have any proposal in mind for how we're going to make
> non-deterministic content models work in the proposed system, but I
> think it may be worth considering special-casing the DTD and XSD
> generating code.

FWIW, there is no XSD-generated code per se, its all done with trang.

the ideal answer is a much more thorough odd2odd process, which
would remove all ambiguities. I  freely confess, I don't think I could
write it myself.

other alternatives:

  1. pure FAND: kill numbered divs now and forever. anyone who wants
them back writes their own content model

  2. loosen the current content model to allow interleaved <div>, <div1>
and <div0>. it would be nonsense, but so? does it really justify immense
mental effort and time spent protecting people from being dumb?

  2a. do 2, but add a schematron rule to say you can't have div and
div1|divo in the same document

  3. trap the situation in Roma code ad hoc

I really really don't want to do 3. if I can help it :-{

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk