[tei-council] More on TEI Lite: work in progress

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Feb 9 11:42:39 EST 2006

Sympathetic as I am to the suggestion that <g> should be usable in a TEI
Lite document, I am also feeling somewhat daunted at the extra baggage
this would entail. It isn't just a matter of adding <g>, you also have
to add  all the paraphernalia of <charDesc> -- some dozen extra elements.

As a way forward, could all Council members take a moment to look at my
current draft for a P5 version of TEI Lite and dispassionately review
its contents?  Suppose you have to nominate two or three topics/elements
which should be axed in favour of a proper treatment of <g> -- which
would they be?

I'm also ready to hear suggestions about things I have axed but should
restore, disagreement about the way I have expressed what I see as the
design goals for this revision, suggestions for a change of emphasis etc.

I am less disposed to hear arguments along the lines "we mustn't touch
this because it's already so widely deployed we can't change anything in
it"... there's a lot in the current TEI Lite which cannot be carried
forward unchanged from P4 to P5.

You can read the current draft at
http://www.tei-c.org/Drafts/lite-doc-p5.html

I would also like to open up this discussion to the hordes on TEI-L
soonish, unless anyone on the Council suggests that the whole enterprise
is fundamentally flawed.

Lou