[tei-council] changes to change

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Feb 8 15:14:31 EST 2006

Christian Wittern wrote:

> I am in the process of validating a whole bunch of files that have
> been transformed to P5 from P4. Among other things, this turned up a
> change to the <change> element which I do not understand.

Well, you *were* in the room when this was discussed!

I think the rationale was that this is a bit of metadata which an
application would generate in any case, and that a simpler structure
would make that easier and clearer.  I don't think anyone expressed
anxiety about migrating existing data -- tho Syd subsequently posted a
stylesheet to do just that.

> The P5 docs (BTW, the examples are formatted a bit strange) want to
> have just this

What do you mean exactly by the "P5 docs"?

At http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/html/HD.html#HD6 I see an
example which looks fine to me.

     <change date="2006-02-07">
>      <name>CW</name>
> P4 to P5 conversion by cbetap4top5.xsl  Rev.  1.4  of
>                          2005/07/28: P5 version, intended for publication
>    </change>

Or you could do

<change date="2006-02-07" who="#CW">

etc.

> All this is based on item 34 in edw92.xml.  While this might not be as
> controversial as numbered divs, I wonder if it is necessary to make P4
> to P5 conversion unnecessarily cumbersome?  I would prefer to have the
> old content model as an alternative, but maybe I am overlooking
> something?

I think I would class having the old content model as an alternative
as "unnecessarily cumbersome" -- and that was also the sense of the meeting.

Maybe other council members could express an opinion -- it's not
difficult to revert this change, if people feel strongly about it,
though I think I would vote against the proposal.