[tei-council] class struggle procedure suggestion

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Sat Dec 31 13:03:53 EST 2005

Action SB by 2005-12-31: organize a proposal on how best to prosecute
                         the class struggle

Personally, I like the idea of working on this via conference call
with each participant looking at the same information on his or her
screen. However, the various technical solutions for that (VNC,
Marratech) seem at first glance like significant overkill.

Thus, I'm going to suggest we try conference calls with a deliberate
plan to try to stay on the same page.

1. ED W 84 needs to be updated to reflect the current P5

2. ED W 84 needs to be updated so that each record is easily uniquely
   identified [1]

3. For each set of modules listed below, the Class Crew holds a
   conference call going through the module as we did for header,
   core, etc. in Oxford. We should set aside 2 hrs for each call,
   hoping to be done in half that.

4. Notes from conference call should be posted very rapidly, ideally
   less than 24 hrs later.

5. Brief discussion period among Class Crew to affirm notes and hammer
   out any details (by default 1 week)

6. Editors implement agreed changes, post about any problems
   encountered (approximately 1 week)

7. ED W 84 is updated to reflect this set of changes

I don't see any reason not to start before the next Council call.
(Have we decided on the date for that call? Fri 24 Feb was
suggested.) I am going to suggest Thu 26 Jan at 14:00Z for the first
Class Crew conference call (C4 for short, although we hope not to be
as explosive :-).

Module Sets
------ ----
* gaiji, nets, figures
* transcr, textcrit, namesdates
* analysis, corpus, spoken (and personography, if it exists by then)
* iso-fs, declarefs
* drama, tagdocs, linking
* msdescription (perhaps MD & DB should be included in con call)
* dictionaries

There is almost nothing to be done for the following modules, so they
have not been included in the above sets:
* verse (only element empty)
* certainty (all elements empty, already a member of a model class)
* concurrent-decl (scheduled for execution by firing squad)

Notes
-----
[1] My personal suggestion would be to add an incrementing record
    number to each cell in the "module" column, but the details don't
    really matter. The point is to make it so that in a web browser,
    which typically has very limited searching capabilities, every
    participant can find the record in question ASAP -- if someone
    says "look at person", the others need to search through at least
    every occurrence of "person" in content models, etc., if not every
    occurrence of "personPart", "personGrp", etc.; if someone says
    "look at record 0283", everyone else can be on the same record v.
    fast.