[tei-council] Facsimile work

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Tue Dec 20 11:03:10 EST 2005

> I have created a page on the wiki with some notes about the
> Facsimile work item (I've categorised it as a SIG on the Wiki).
> http://www.tei-c.org/wiki/index.php/SIG:Facsimile

Wow, quick work Conal. Excellent. Page itself looks good, if
(understandably at this point) a bit sketchy. One question or perhaps
nit-pick. From the introduction:

   "... about markup of facsimile images with correspondence to parts
    of the text."

I had thought of the effort more as about how one encodes the
correspondence of encoded text with an image of its source, and
perhaps about how one encodes metadata about that image. But the
actual markup of facsimile images seems to me to mean something
somewhat different, and out of scope.

Did you actually want this to be a SIG, or just stuck it there for
lack of a better place on the wiki? If the latter, let's put our
heads together with James and find or create a better place.

If you really want this to be a SIG, there is a relatively
unobtrusive procedure to follow. I just realized that the procedure
for SIG creation is described in a document to which only the Board
of Directors has access. I'm not sure why that is, and will write to
the Board about it soon. In the meantime, here's a quick summary:

* Send mail to SIG coordinator (currently Susan S., I think)
  requesting SIG. Request should include
  - brief description of SIG mission (can be 1 sentence, basically
    exists to prove you know "TEI" does not stand for "Tax Executives
    Institute" (see http://www.tei-c.org/Publicity/not_the_tei.htm if
    you haven't already))
  - name & e-mail addr of contact person

* SIG coordinator presents SIG to Council, who vote approval or
  disapproval Council has never disapproved, and I doubt they ever
  will -- this step exists mostly to ensure
  a) Council is kept in the loop, and
  b) we don't have 2 SIGs doing same thing who don't know about each
     other