[tei-council] date, venue for next meeting

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Dec 20 03:34:32 EST 2005

Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> for the sake of argument, can we look at the last week of May 2006 and
> do comparative costings for Tokyo and Washington? How about if people
> estimated travel costs for those two locations? I am happy to do
> correlate a
> table if desired.
>
> for example, for me Tokyo costs £490 (more or less), and Washington
> about £450.

If we do the meeting in Kyoto, which I would recommend, you should
look for flights into Kansai (sometimes called Osaka) Airport (KIX).

I could go to Washington for about 800 Euro, to Paris or London for
about 750 Euro. Kyoto would cost me noting.  These fares are based on
the Feb. prices, since the search engine I used does not give prices
for May (and most Airlines have not published the discounted prices
for May yet anyway).

> Oxford would cost me nothing, Paris about £150
>
> What are chances of cheapish hotels in Kyoto? or Washington?
>
> On the whole, Paris likely to be cheapest :-}

I just did a quick search here,

http://domestic.hotel.travel.yahoo.co.jp/bin/ajsearch?tuki=12&hi=20&haku=1&pnum=1&rnum=12&ken=26&larea=&marea=&os=1&pmin=&pmax=2&via=top&x=42&y=12

which revealed that there seem to be quite some options for "cheapish"
hotels in Kyoto -- in this case, less than 10000 Yen (about 70 Euro)
per night.  You might have to put up with staff that only barely
understands, much less speaks English though.

I would like to add that the decision should not be solely on economic
grounds.  As I said during the call, I would try to organize some
workshop with the meeting, which will allow me to pay some travel out
of the pockets of a grant.  I just had a word with the powers to be
and the prospect for this seems to be quite good.  The catch with the
workshop is, that we will need to publish a report with the papers
presented, but again that should not be a problem I hope.

All the best,

Christian

--
 Christian Wittern