UPDATED: [tei-council] draft agenda for TEI council telecon2005-12-16 1200 UTC

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Dec 16 02:35:44 EST 2005

"Conal Tuohy" <Conal.Tuohy at vuw.ac.nz> writes:

>> Christian Wittern <wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp> writes:
>
>> 3) Proposal for new work items
>>

> I have only one other item: more explicit identification of external
> vocabularies used in TEI taxonomies.
>
> I would like to establish guidelines for explicitly linking to external
> vocabularies via URI, so that indexing and cataloguing software can more
> easily merge metadata from TEI documents in bulk, i.e. to promote
> commensurability of the indexes. At the moment the guidelines provide
> for an external vocabulary (a <taxonomy>) to be identified with a bibl,
> but I'd like us to endorse a way to include a URI as part of that
> identity, to facilitate merging.

Fair enough. Looking at
http://www.tei-c.org.uk/P5/Guidelines/HD.html#HD55 I wonder if what we
need here is an endorsed way to provide a URL within <bibl> and
friends (do we have that?).  This looks like a pretty frequent
requirement in bibliographic citations to me.

Would that solve the problem at hand, Conal?

> In general (and this applies to the page-facsimile issue too), we are
> trying to make it easier for the National Library of NZ to adopt TEI as
> a general rule for text encoding. This is not yet a fait accompli. I
> think there's a risk that some half-baked (non-TEI) solution will catch
> on, especially (a cynic might say) given the involvement of Microsoft[2]
> (I know - I'm running a risk writing this using Microsoft Outlook!).

That is certainly something I would like to see happen and we should
do what we can to facilitate it.

All the best,

Christian

--