[tei-council] measured and measurement

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Dec 15 18:37:51 EST 2005

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> Lou Burnard wrote:
>
>> The MS module defines an attribute class "measured" which adds
>> attributes "unit" and "scope" to a number of elements.
>>
>> The ST module defines an attribute class "measurement" which adds
>> attributes "unit" "quantity" and "commodity"
>>
>> There is evidentluy some overlap here, but I'm not sure how best to
>> resolve it.
>>
> quantity, commodity and scope seem to be distinct, and unit is the same.
> so why don't
> you just merge them?

The trouble is that qty, unit, cdty all relate to a single measurement
e.g. "one hogshead of boiling oil" whereas scope is used to summarize
the applicability of the qty and unit across a number of measurements
e.g. "14 picas in most cases". I suppose I might want to say something
like "15 hogsheads of boiling oil, mostly " to mean that some of the
hogsheads were a bit lukewarm, maybe, or contained something other than
oil, but it's a bit of a stretch.