[tei-council] encoding page scans

Conal Tuohy Conal.Tuohy at vuw.ac.nz
Wed Dec 14 18:03:15 EST 2005

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> Your "list of figure elements inside a note in the
> TEI.2/teiHeader/fileDesc/noteStmt" seems to me closer
> to the right way.

Perhaps something could be added to the Source Description, rather than
the Notes Statement? That might be a better place to encode references
to page scans, and then standard linking mechanisms (link, @corresp,
whatever) could be used to align them to pages.

"The <sourceDesc> element is the seventh and final component of the
<fileDesc> element. It is a mandatory element, and is used to record
details of the source or sources from which a computer file is derived.
"

e.g.

<sourceDesc>
	<images>
		<image corresp="#pb1">
			<graphic ... />
		</image>
		<image corresp="#pb1">
			<graphic ... />
		</image>
	</image>
</sourceDesc>

> I'm with Christian, in the idea of a
> complete parallel document.

Though there's a considerable extra burden to encoders that way, I
think.

> The question is not "what is the answer", but "what mechanism
> shall we use
> to establish the answer".....

I'm not sure if I understand that ... could you clarify? I'm sorry if
I'm not going about this in the correct way ... I am new here :-)

Con