[tei-council] classy measurements

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Nov 21 17:59:10 EST 2005

Syd Bauman <Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu> writes:

>> If you look at the Unicode codepoint area U+3380 to 33DF you see a
>> pretty long list -- do you really want to include them all?
>
> Uhhh... no, not at all. I only want to include a few units for now
> (which is why I said "list some of the most common symbols"), but
> more importantly these are all compatibility characters, and thus off
> the table, are they not?

Well, I mentioned this not to use the codepoints, but as an instance
of an enumeration of units for measurements.  And you have all the
*standard denominations* in the mapping to expansions.
>> > Later, after we've finished straightening out the classes, I
>> > think 2 or 3 of us should come up with a concrete proposal for
>> > how to encode units in a Unicode environment. How to put such a
>> > proposal into a tagdoc file is another problem entirely (which I
>> > foreshadowed with "problems with our declaration system", above
>> > :-), because the values of ident= of <valItem> need to be
>> > xsd:Names. This suggestion defers having to deal with this, too.
>>
>> See above. none of our business, luckily.
>
> I'm sorry, I don't understand what part you don't think we should be
> worrying about. If we don't give TEI users advice on how to encode
> units, who will?

My comment related only to the part *in a Unicode environment*, which
does not really make a difference here.  Advice and examples is
needed, of course.

Christian

--
 Christian Wittern