[tei-council] numbered divs

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 13 11:33:40 EST 2005

Syd Bauman wrote:

>On the other hand, you voiced in earlier mail (not to the list) the
>thought of further constraining this back to "only numbered OR only
>un-numbered" with a Schematron rule. This may not be so terrible,
>depending on what our end position is on the use of Schematron.

it's the thin end of the wedge, of course; how do we decide
what constraints to delegate? of course, this

>The general problem is that dropping all members of a class may make
>some content models ambiguous in DTD (and maybe W3C) land.
>
>I think it is important to seriously investigate the dummy-element
>insertion idea, which could solve this general problem, not just this
>instance. This is the idea that whenever the odd2dtd processor comes
>across an empty class, it populates that class with one element
><dummy-do-not-use>.

Its an interesting idea. The flaw in practice is that the simplification
of smoothing out things to clean up after element removal is done
before odd2dtd kicks in. So it would need a another reimplementation
of the ODD processing, paralleling the scale of work I did in April.
Marginally easier, perhaps, to attempt to locate the ambiguous bits
in the odd2 processing.

Wouldn't your dummy element be offered all the time by the
editor as a possible choice?

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk