Personography discussion (was: Re: [tei-council] datatypes again: make data.key a URI)

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Nov 8 20:34:42 EST 2005

Syd Bauman <Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu> writes:

>> <name key="people.xml#foo">, remember
>
> Even this case could be handled by parsing on "#" and using
> document() and id(), I think. But I want to be able to validate at
> least
>   <name key="http://my.names.org/namesFile.xml#foo">
> if not
>   <name key="http://my.names.org/namesFile.xml?query=foo">
> and all sorts of other URIs as well.

And this is were I think it really gets silly.  Who wants to have to
put full-blown URIs at every name occurrence?  It seems to me, we
should at least have a mechanism to put everything except the query
string somewhere in the header and let @key just provide the query
string or #anchor.  Such a mechanism would also be useful for other
cases, for example in @ref at <g>.

For what its worth, I think now that we should defer a decision on
this to the general personography discussion.  On that topic, Lou
agreed to provide a draft working paper that could serve as a base for
the discussion at a face-to-face meeting by the end of the year.  Are
there other suggestions on how to proceed on this item?

All the best,

Christian

--
 Christian Wittern