[tei-council] [Fwd: Re: 'token' classes]

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Oct 18 05:39:59 EDT 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: 'token' classes
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:38:09 +0100
From: Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
To: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk>
<4353C406.9040809 at oucs.ox.ac.uk>
<17235.55628.147721.610665 at emt.wwp.brown.edu>
<4353DA50.6060303 at oucs.ox.ac.uk>
<ygf4q7f6acj.fsf at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
<435427A8.9060603 at oucs.ox.ac.uk>
<17236.12940.860584.793970 at emt.wwp.brown.edu>
<4354B54C.1080404 at oucs.ox.ac.uk>
<BF73B058-749A-48EF-8E23-942F054E2C85 at loria.fr>
<4354BD4E.4030408 at oucs.ox.ac.uk>

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> Laurent Romary wrote:
>

>>What we want (maybe...) is to consider that the type attribute
>>contains a code or identifier (not necessarily in the sense of xml)
>>that is related to a predefined classification of a given object. We
>>should state that strongly somewhere so that it gives encoders the
>>instruction to actually +think+ of the general picture in which a
>>given value for type will be considered. Typically, the possible
>>types of division in a corpus (<div>) the various grammatical
>>features he wants to use in a dictionary (<gram>) etc.
>>

> This is fine, but why do you consider that a code or identier has no
> spaces? my identifer is "Sebastian Rahtz", not some
> artificial construction like "Sebastian_Rahtz".

Au contraire, your name may well be "Sebastian Rahtz" (and tagged as
such by <name>) but your identification is precisely likely to be an
artificial construction of some kind. Suince it's artificial we can
plausibbly make up rules about whether or not it has spaces.

That said, I think this discussion gas led to me finally understanding
why W3C use the word "token" the way they do == and seeing it as not
implausible.