[tei-council] datatypes updated

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sun Sep 25 15:24:02 EDT 2005

I have now checked  new versions of all tagdocs, classdocs, and chapter
files
into CVS. These versions now use the new datatypes only (more or less!)

There follow some random notes on what I needed to change (or not
change) to get this revised version to validate both P5 itself and our
current test suite.

1.  textLang used to use langKey and otherLang to reference a <language>
 - I have changed them to tei.data.language to do this which means they
dont need to be pointers any more, but they must use valid language
codes. I also changed "langKey" to "mainLang".

2. I have left most things defined as tei.data.names unchanged. But they
need to be reviewed, and changed to either list{tei.data.name*} or
tei.data.token (or some other name to map on to xsd:token), depending on
whether they are actually distinct items like "up down" or single items
which just happen to have a space in them like "fat possum"

3.  tei.data.probability : I have made this consistently a number
between 0 and 1, and I have decided on using it for certainty at degree,
and as an alternation with tei.data.certainty for  damage at degree --
sorry, no percentages.

4. tei.data.certainty : this needs a better name to indicate that it
means "approximate designation of quantity" : i used it for purpose at degree

4. schemaSpec at start is oneOrMore tei.idents, rather than zeroOrMore as
proposed by Syd

5. scheme attribute on att, tag, gi : as these have a vallist, i have
made them tei.data.enumerated and also made the list open to cater for
the various names used in SA

6. In abolishing the reg= attribute i had to revise the text of CO a bit
and ND quite a lot. The latter in particular contains several examples
best characterized as a little eccentric... and two problems remain: how
to represent a glossed geographic feature like <geogName>Mont (Mountain)
St Michel</geogName>

7. somehow note at target came out as truthValue instead of pointers: fixed

8. metsym at value changed back to text, since examples use / and @

9. ruledLines changed to choice of single or list of two tei.data.count
to allow for range (this meant also changing several egs in MS

10. removed several cases where reg= was being used to mean equiv= for
quantities etc. this needs thought

11.  xsd:regexp doesnt allow use of +- as in example for metdecl:
changed example

12.  attributes width, height, scale on (at least) graphic need some
more thought; height and width should include units ("10in" etc) ; scale
should be tei.data.probability (which maybe needs a better name?)

13. fragmentPattern at pat changed to text pro tem (shd be child element?)

14. state at delim -> reverted to text (names doesnt allow space)

15. handNote at script should be tei.data.names, not pointer