[tei-council] Re: on spec grp 2, datatypes normalized

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Sun Sep 25 09:38:11 EDT 2005

> It is a timespan, put not a point in time. This problem raises its
> head regularily when trying to express a Chinese year in ISO, which
> should then be rendered as 1900-02-17 to 1901-01-29. Any idea how
> this could be expressed on @value for date?

This is easily represented in ISO 8601 with one of
   1900-02-17/1901-01-29
   1900-02-17/P0Y11M12D
   P0Y11M12D/1901-01-29
   or, if parties have agreed to use the alternative format
   1900-02-17/P0000-11-12
or any one of lots of variations if you drop the "0Y", use
week-numbers instead of dates, or express the period in days instead
of months & days, etc.

However, I do not think W3C permits any of these representation of
ranges in their datatypes. (They use notBefore= and notAfter=, I
think.) I don't know, but I would not be surprised if they're lack of
support is because implementing this is a pain.