[tei-council] Datatype : roundup

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Sep 21 18:50:52 EDT 2005

Rather than repeat with comment all the last few days messages, here is
my take on where I think we now are.

1. No-one has dissented from the basic objective of providing tei
datatypes which together cover the full range of current requirements as
identified in Syd's edw90 table. There has been debate chiefly where the
requirements identified there don't map tidily on to existing W3C
datatypes.

2. Here are my proposals for resolving the currently debated issues:

a. tei.data.notation : renamed as tei.data.pattern and explicitly tied
to regular  expression syntax [some debate is needed on how we define
this: syd's original proposal suggested we should support only the W3C
rather restricted version of regexps, i.e. the pattern has to be
"anchored". Is that OK, or are we supporting apache-style
perl-compatible regexps? or just the original syntax built into grep
(but not egrep)?]

b. split the currently defined tei.data.name into two: tei.data.ident
and tei.data.name  -- the former is used for those cases where the name
concerned *must* be an XML-compatible name and maps to xsd:Name ; the
latter for names of any kind excluding spaces (mapping to NMTOKEN?)

c. add a pattern to the list of alternatives proposed for
tei.data.temporal which  supports  right-truncated times (just don't say
i didnt tell you it'll all end in tears)

d. define  tei.data.probability as a value between 0 and 1 only

e. define tei.data. numeric as double, rather than decimal

I've now changed all the definitions accordingly, added a little bit
more explication, and regenerated the HTML preview pages at
http://www.tei-c.org/Drafts/DTYPES/

I am sure Council members are anxious to move on from this rather
tedious subject to the exciting challenges of rethinking the class
system, but it would be REALLY HELPFUL if they could give this latest
iteration a quick read through and comment as to whether or not they think

-- the list of datatypes proposed is adequate to our needs (as
summarized in edw90)
-- the definitions for them proposed are reasonably comprehensible and
adequate

We could then move on...