[tei-council] datatype issues (part 1)

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Sep 21 05:08:51 EDT 2005

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> <q>
> [ISO 8601] <http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#ISO8601> supports a
> variety of "truncated" formats in which some of the characters on the
> left of specific formats, for example, the century, can be omitted.
> Truncated formats are, in general, not permitted for the datatypes
> defined in this specification </q>

Yes the bit that confused me was:

<q> Right truncated formats are also, in general, not permitted for the
datatypes defined in this specification with the following exceptions:
right-truncated representations of dateTime are used as lexical representations
for date, gMonth, gYear.</q>

It seems silly to allow it for date, gMonth, and gYear, but not for time.  I
understand there is a minor benefit in implementations, but the same type of
logic has to exist for processing right-truncated date as time, so don't see
that it is much of a saving.  *shrug* Oh well, I'm sure more able brains than
mine have thought this through...

I'm still not convinced that xsd:duration should be excluded.

Apologies,

-James