[tei-council] datatype issues (part 1)

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 21 04:50:47 EDT 2005

James Cummings wrote:

> "It is also acceptable to omit elements to reduce precision. hh:mm,
> hhmm, and hh are all used."
>
> This seems to indicate that you can say 13:15 or 13, etc.

unfortunately, the W3C removed that flexibility

"The ·lexical space·
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dt-lexical-space> of *dateTime*
consists of finite-length sequences of characters of the form: |'-'?
yyyy '-' mm '-' dd 'T' hh ':' mm ':' ss ('.' s+)? (zzzzzz)?|"

ISO 8601 has what we want, but it isn't implemented in the
schema-processing tools.

Pragmatically, whats the point of setting up datatypes and then immediately
have them knocked back down to unimplemented?

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk