[tei-council] datatypes

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Sep 18 02:16:11 EDT 2005

Syd Bauman wrote:

>* tei.data.numeric: the change removes support for a constituency
>  that we already now about: those who need to enter floating point
>  numbers.

I thought we went through this on TEI-L, and someone like
M Beddows showed that the W3C datatypes did do everything
needed?

> Furthermore, I still claim it makes sense to permit
>  percentages

at first blush, I think a percentage is like a dimension,
not a numeric (width=23cm, width=88%). mixing
it in with numeric seems pretty weird. I may well be wrong.

> (One could argue, though, that the percentages should
>  be limited to 8 characters maximum (effectively limiting them to 3
>  or 4 decimal places of precision), so that any tei.data.numeric
>  value could fit into 64 bits.)

haven't we gone beyond worrying about number of bits
we use up?

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk