[tei-council] comments on edw90

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Sep 9 03:57:04 EDT 2005

Syd Bauman wrote:

> Second, it is my bet that TEI users in
>general are not going to want to express someone's age as, e.g.
>"P36Y", but would much rather "36 yr" (and we can argue over details
>like "year" vs "yr" vs "years" vs "yrs", white-space or not).

I still say that if you use this attribute, you are committing yourself
to formal standardized notation. If the appropriate body has agreed
on "P36Y", it seems madness to me for text encoding folks to say they
want to withdraw from standardisation efforts, and insist on Western-centric
adhoc uncodified notation.

Sebastian