P5 CVS woes (was Re: [tei-council] Draft agenda for Council teleconference on 2005-09-09 / 1300 UTC)

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Sep 8 22:08:20 EDT 2005

James Cummings <James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> writes:

> http://www.tei-c.org/Council/tcw06.xml

For the record, I just tried to proceed to get a running P5 on my Mac
OS 10.3 machine, starting with the Stylesheet module, saying

make install

This fails since the xsltdoc stuff is not there (Sebastian, remember
that I mentioned that before?) Anyhow, I proceeded to download xsltdoc
from http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/xsltdoc/XSLTdoc_1.1.zip
and installed it locally, adding a symlink to the directory where my
Stylesheets live.  Now I do  "make install" again, this time I get:

chris at chwpb:~/src/tei/Stylesheets % sudo make install
Error on line 101 of file:/Users/chris/src/tei/Stylesheets/xsltdoc/xsl/core.xsl:
  XPTY0004: Required item type of value of variable $sourceRootUriAbs is xs:string; supplied
  value has item type xs:anyURI
Failed to compile stylesheet. 1 error detected.

having seen that it calls saxon, I assume that this might be a problem
with the stylesheets expecting a XSLT 1.0 processor, while my default
saxon is for XSLT 2.0.  I then switch the local saxon to 6.5.4 (or
whatever) and re-run the "make install" command.  This time I get 111
errors, go back to the XSLTDoc page and see that it requires XSLT
2.0. At this time I could go hunting for bugs in XSLTdoc, but since my
purpose is installing P5 I am ready to give up on this...

What it comes down to is that at the moment there seems to be no
(easy?) way to install the CVS Stylesheets (and the other P5 modules)
locally.  We need to solve this and update the document accordingly.

I know, I could just point to the stylesheets on the TEI website, as
James mentions in the document, so I do:

  chris at chwpb:~/src/tei/P5 % XSL=http://www.tei-c.org/stylesheet make -e
Checking you have a running XML tools and Perl before trying to run transform...
xsltproc:/sw/bin/xsltproc
Perl:/usr/bin/perl
xmllint:/sw/bin/xmllint
trang:/Users/chris/bin/trang
jing:/Users/chris/bin/jing
mkdir DTD
rm DTD/*
rm: DTD/*: No such file or directory
make: [dtds] Error 1 (ignored)
# generate the DTDs
xmllint --noent   Source-driver.xml | \
xsltproc --stringparam outputDir DTD --stringparam verbose true http://www.tei-c.org/stylesheet/odds/odd2dtd.xsl -
warning: failed to load external entity "http://www.tei-c.org/stylesheet/odds/odd2dtd.xsl"
cannot parse http://www.tei-c.org/stylesheet/odds/odd2dtd.xsl
make: *** [dtds] Error 4

At which point I am at the end of my wits.

The modules do not seem to be usable without a Debian system at the
moment (of the four I had running here, the last one went out of
service a few weeks ago).

All the best,

Christian

--