[tei-council] comments on edw90

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Sep 3 16:57:39 EDT 2005

Lou Burnard wrote:

> So the choice is really
>
> (1)  use xsd:duration (which includes units) , and thus remove all the
> additional attributes that specify units
>
> (2) use plain old numeric dataype of some sort, and retain the unit
> attribute
>
> Choice (1) is only going to work for durations where we can be
> confident that the xsd units are going to meet TEI needs, obviously. I
> fear there may be fewer of these than anticipated -- probably people
> will be content to use SI units for times, but you can bet someone
> will always want to measure (e.g.) distance in rods poles and perches.

surely the point of these attributes is exactly to standardize described
text? so when I see "67 rods", I want to,
and should, encode it as <foo distance="32.3m">67 rods</foo>?

choice (1) seems obvious to me, and always has done. I don't think SI
units do the job,
I'll lobby ISO....

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk