[tei-council] comments on edw90

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Aug 11 05:38:07 EDT 2005

Christian Wittern wrote:

>Thanks for your comments Lou.  It looks like we are actually moving
>forward a lot:-)
>
>I can't claim to understand everything, but it looks good as you
>present it.  Just some very small quibbles:
>
>Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> writes:
>

>>Our recommendation is that
>>- the tei.typed class should be removed
>>- elements bearing a type attribute (and former members of the typed
>>  class) should be checked to see whether their valLists constitute an
>>  open or closed list
>>- for closed list, the datatype will be an alternation of the possible
>>  values
>>- for open (or semi) lists, the datatype will be tei.enumerated,
>>  i.e. a single token not containing whitespace
>>

>I assume what this comes down to is that every element in need of it
>will get a @type directly without the indirection through the class system.

That's the proposal in essence.

>>We conclude that
>>
>>- datatypes should be expressed as <rng:data> expressions
>>- for commonly occurring cases (see below) we should define a small
>>  number of macros, which will be named in the way Syd proposes for
>>  datatypes
>>- it should be possible to map all datatypes to W3C basic datatypes,
>>  possibly with additional constraints
>>

>Does this mean that we deviate from the principle to base our stuff on
>W3C datatypes?  Or does this mean that we get at them through rng:data?

The latter.

>>We are not sure where these constraints go in ODD-world, but probably
>>not in the <datatype>. We recommend using Schematron for them because
>>(a) we know it does the job (b) it is a candidate ISO recommendation.
>>

>That is very nice, but do you actually plan to provide the necessary
>schematrons to do the validation?

We havent yet decided whether to include  schematron assertions (or
whatever they are called) in all such cases, but there should be some if
only to demonstrate the concept.

>>tei.data.language
>>  I agree that we need to document exactly what this means somewhere
>>  and providing a TEI name for it is a good way of doing so.
>>

>Is this something different from xml:lang?  If yes, why do we need it?

Good question. I think the general feeling was that it would be helpful
to document the use of xml:lang by referring to this datatype, but that
may be a mistake.